Sunday, September 13, 2015

diy / a-frame tent


so i made this tent about a year ago. i got instructions from [my cakies] and made a few modifications. i've been wanted to post about it for a while, but never got around to taking the photos. since it was already built when i took photos, i wanted to share my modifications, and refer you to [my cakies] for more details and instructions. another good template can be found on [a beautiful mess]

what i love about these tee pee tents, not only are they easy to make and easy to wash... they fold up flat and can slide into a closet. although lincoln doesn't like when i put it away. its his hide out.. especially when fighting naps.

materials:
(4) 1” x 2” x 48” whitewood moulding
(3) 3/4” x 48” poplar dowel (putting one at the top and two on the bottom)
drill with a 3/4” spade bit
measuring tape
pencil
fabric (thick/ stiff) for frame (approx. 46” x 85.5” un-hemmed; 44” x 83.5” hemmed)
fabric for window and top triangles (less than a yard)
staple gun
sewing machine
scissors
garland for decoration (optional)
pillows and blankets (for play / nap time) 

i added these leather triangles to keep it from buckling out. i made the triangle shape that i wanted with the wooden legs and tightly stapled the leather to the wood creating a triangle.
also it helps if your tent is on carpet or a rug, it wont slide as much. 




for my fabric i chose a thick muslin canvas. i found that it was easier to work with when it was stiff and would probably last longer/ stretch less than a thinner fabric. i had some left over leather fabric (lets be real, pleather) and i decided to go for a window. i hemmed the pleather rectangle to give it a nice clean shape. measured it on the canvas with a pencil so i could see what i needed to cut out. I made sure to give the inner window (canvas material) a nice thick hem as well so it wouldn't rip when a little person tugged on it.



instead of using elastic on the legs, i thought a thick hem (big enough for the pole to fit through) would make the tent more sturdy.



what i love most about this diy, is there are no little pieces. the poles fit right into the holes. 

i'm glad i made a window. "mommy, atch dis" (watch this)

and of course some black card stock triangle garland for the plain side.


2 comments:

  1. Yes! I found that same DIY on Cakies and made myself a tent a few years ago, too. In fact, I loved it so much that I actually made many of them and sold them via my Etsy shop! I took their listings down, currently, because I had a baby 5 months ago and they were too much work while pregnant and now with 2 little kids. I'll definitely get back to selling them again later on. But...I have to say I love your idea with the leather stapled to the legs to keep them from buckling. My husband and I have been racking our brains for the same solution. We ended up including some rubber bands (which are the same color as the wood) and instructions on how to securely wrap them around the legs and dowel but also keep them discreet to not look annoying. Your idea is more aesthetically appealing BUT, for me to sell mine like that would prevent customers from opening their tent to their desired amount. Oh hardwood floors, these things are slippery suckers! Great job on yours! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! Thats awesome your able to sell them. The triangle leather pieces really help, I also think rubber feet would work too.

      Delete